[ghc-steering-committee] #216: Qualified Do again, recommendation: accept the alternative

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue May 5 08:13:37 UTC 2020

Hi,

let me try to kindly rebut your points to some extent.

1. Most criticism about the module-based approach boils down to
   “What if people alias unrelated modules to the same name?”
   Both in the discussion on visibility (export, or also import)
   and in this case.
   I’d say: Nobody aliases unrelated module!
   (And if some do, I don’t think they deserve to be the main deciding
   factor in this decision.)

2. Error messages come up too.

   But again, I don’t see any reason why GHC can’t give equally well
   error messages in both cases.
   Note that the desugaring _conceptually_ can happen in parsing, but
   the implementation certainly won’t, and thus can give informed
   error messages.

   So you’d either get maybe

      You have qualified the do block in … with Foo.builder, but
      Foo.builder is of type Foo.Builder and the record Builder
      does not have a field named (>>).

   vs.

      You have qualified the do block in … with Foo, but the module
      Foo does not export a value named (>>).

   Or, in case you are not importing enough.

      You have qualified the do block in … with Foo.builder, but

you did not import the field accessor Foo.(>>).
      Did you want to
add (>>) to the import list in ….

   vs.

      You have qualified the do block in … with Foo, and Foo exports
      (>>), but you did not import Foo.(>>).
      Did you want to add (>>) to the import list in ….

   (or many variations of this, including helpful wording in case
   the module name aliases multiple modules).

   BTW, your example seemd to compares the error conditions “builder
   does not provide (>>)” with “user forgot to import (>>)” – two
   separate error conditions, that can both occur in both proposals.

Neither of these arguments refute your underlying preference for
records (which I would absolutely share – if we didn't need this ad-hoc
“fully settled” and odd “any type works as long as it has the right
fields”).

I think it boils down to whether the goal (records) justify the kludges
(fully settled, a desugaring that looks up some constructor K withoutusing it).

(Can someone maybe just make GetField work with polytypes? Then we
woudn’t have any of this discussion, I guess.)