[ghc-steering-committee] RecordDotSyntax proposal: next steps

Tom Harding tomjharding at live.co.uk
Fri Mar 6 19:30:18 UTC 2020

Aye!

On 6 Mar 2020, at 17:59, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-steering-committee <ghc-steering-committee at haskell.org<mailto:ghc-steering-committee at haskell.org>> wrote:

Colleagues
I’m sorry to have been dragging my feet on the records proposal.   First there was half term holiday, and then the ICFP deadline, so I’ve been out of action for several weeks.
It’s pretty clear that we are not going to achieve 100% consensus, so the right thing to do is to vote, using the single-transferrable-vote scheme that Joachim runs.  It’s worth striving for consensus, because the debate can be clarifying (and has been!).  But I don’t regard non-consensus as a failure.  These things are all judgement calls, and people’s judgement can legitimately differ.   Voting lets us nevertheless reach a conclusion.
So here’s what I propose

  *   I’ve put up a list of choices for us to vote on here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MgovHRUUNjbuM4nM8qEe308MfbAYRh2Q8PxFHl7iY74/edit?usp=sharing>, informed by our most recent email exchanges. The first thing is to ensure that this list is
     *   Complete: no choices that people really want are omitted.
     *   Clear and unambiguous.  When we vote we must know exactly what we are voting for!
Can you all respond about that, including “Aye” if you think it is both complete and clear.

  *   Once we are all satisfied, I’ll invite you to vote.  The easiest way to do so might be to edit the Google doc directly, so there’s a single point of reference.
Please also let me know if you think we should be doing anything else.
Thanks!