[ghc-steering-committee] committee constitution

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Wed Jun 24 10:57:54 UTC 2020

An interesting viewpoint arose in this thread that I'd like to highlight: instead of representing all these interests on the committee, we could have shepherds consider external reviewers, who are invited to review individual proposals. Beyond that, there have been ideas shared about what, precisely, the list should be. I want to defer that discussion until we agree that we should even have a list. So I pose a question:

How should we ensure that various constituencies are well served by our process?

 A. By having shepherds reach out to community members external to the committee who can share their expert opinion
 B. By maintaining a list of constituencies that the committee membership covers (ideally)

These can be combined, or we could do neither. (Right now, we do neither.) Please respond answering whether you'd prefer A alone, B alone, A + B, or neither.

I prefer B alone. I think A is fine, but it should be hopefully rare enough that we don't need to bake it into our process. And I'd prefer to have the constituencies represented in such a way that the representative sees a range of proposals, not just a few that narrowly affect some group of people.

If we decide to include B in the end, I'll create a Google Doc where we can collaboratively compose the list.

Thanks,
Richard