[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Structured summary

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Dec 23 11:14:59 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 23.12.2020, 10:07 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones via
ghc-steering-committee:
> >  Simon, is this sufficient that it can replace manually maintaining the
> >  Google doc?
>
> Thank you!   Yes, it's 90% as good which is probably enough. Can you
> put them in a specified order rather than alphabetical?  (Having
> "Class and instance decls" so far from "Types" is odd.)

Tricky. Maybe I can parse docs/users_guide/exts.rst and use the order
of that file (putting all those that are _not_ part of that file
afterwards).

… ok, done. (If the order is now unsuitable I hope that we can improve
that at the source, in the GHC docs :-))

> TypeApplications has nothing to do with Patterns.

Hmm, this is because GHC’s master

   users_guide/exts/patterns.rst

mentions type_application. This glitch will go away once someone merges
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/merge_requests/4673

> Why is DeriveGeneric under "Misc" rather than "Deriving"?

Because it’s official place in the documentation at
https://ghc.gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/doc/users_guide/exts/generics.html#extension-DeriveGeneric
is in

> What is the difference between "Other" and "Misc"?

Miscellaneous is when I find the extension in
https://ghc.gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/doc/users_guide/exts/misc.html

Other is when my script can’t make sense of which section it belongs
to. This happens when the documentation isn’t grouped under a dedicated
header; for example
https://ghc.gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/doc/users_guide/exts/ffi.html#extension-ForeignFunctionInterface
has

I guess in that case I should try to take the title of that section…

… done, no Other shows up any more.

It would be helpful if GHC would publish a fully machine-readable file
with all the meta data about extensions:

 * Name
 * Since which version
 * Category
 * Link to docs
 * Implied extensions
 * Part of Haskell98? Part of Haskell2010? Part of the “default set”?

Until we have that, I guess I'll continue scraping the `.rst` files.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de