[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: How to proceed?

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 18:01:48 UTC 2020

OK, having looked at the table, I'd be fine with defining GHC2020 (or is
2021?) as >= 8.

Also, I don't think getting additional input from the community would add
any clarity to the process, at least not in ways significantly different
from what we've already discussed.

Just for fun, my two biggest "disappointments" are:
   * PolyKinds on by default, because I think that TypeInType is a mistake,
but I am ok with it as in practice it rarely matters
   * RecordWildCards not on by default, because it is a completely opt in
feature, which is extremely convenient on occasion, and I find the
arguments against it to be roughly equivalent to "I can think of ways to
abuse this feature, so you shouldn't use it".

What are yours?

-Iavor