[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: How to proceed?

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Sat Dec 19 22:08:25 UTC 2020

I'm in favor of keeping to the process -- and for keeping the discussion going. That is, we accept what we have on Tuesday. But we also use this experience to refine our criteria for GHC2021+n, depending on our chosen cadence. In particular, I think the discussion of whether extensions should be used to control language levels is very interesting, and I think we could get somewhere by continuing to work on this front.

There is one final step I would advocate for, beyond accepting the extensions we have on Tuesday: we should do a quick check that they form a reasonable set. For example, it would be very strange to allow e.g. TypeFamilies without MonoLocalBinds, or to allow DataKinds but not KindSignatures. I haven't double-checked for whether we meet this standard, but we should.

Thanks, Joachim, for steering this ship!
Richard