[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Forth status update / kialo.com

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 16:24:29 UTC 2020

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 09:21, Spiwack, Arnaud <arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 9:28 PM Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It would be slightly strange to have a language feature that is enabled
>> by default but generates a warning every time you use it. I'd rather the
>> warning was disabled by default, but I agree that PartialTypeSignatures
>> should be on.
>>

> I'm not sure what warning is “on by default”, as I always have at least
> `-Wall` turned on all the time.

The warnings that are on by default are listed here:
https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/using-warnings.html

(note -Wpartial-type-signatures is included)

> But isn't every instance of a warning a case of “a feature that is enabled
> by default but generates a warning”? Name shadowing is one such. So is
> incomplete pattern matching.

What I mean, I guess, is that every warning could be an error if we so
> desired, couldn't they? What's special about this one?

In the case of partial type signatures *you can't use the feature without
generating a warning*, which is quite a different matter, I think. It would
be even stranger if it was an error!

Cheers