[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: kialo.com: voting

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Dec 16 08:50:44 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 16.12.2020, 09:20 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> - There doesn't seem to be a way to agree with an argument, without
> > adding a distinct "pro". This means that if a post is liked by 8 of
> > us and disliked (for different reasons) by 3, there would be 3 cons
> > against it, no pros, and a misrepresentation of our communal opinion.
>
> It’s not a voting tool. It is a way to map out the arguments, and
> (maybe) more easily appreciate and take in the facets of the discussion
> than other forms.
>
> That said, Kialo has an optional “voting” feature, where you can rate
> the “impact” of each claim (i.e. how strongly a pro or con claim
> affects its parent claim).
> https://support.kialo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000705652-About-Voting
> I’ll enable it, maybe it’s useful.

Enabled it now. It allows you to rate the impact (i.e. relevance and
truth) of a claim on its parent claim, and the UI will then order
claims by relevance.

So it isn’t voting in the sense of “now a slight majority overrules a
small minority to create facts” (for that we still use our email
ballots), but a way to add more refined signal to the view on the
debate that Kialo provides: The most relevant pros and cons are now
highlighted, and claims that are not convincing are de-emphasized.

There is no need to vote on everything, of course.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de