[ghc-steering-committee] A few more pleas

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:19:08 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 5:40 AM Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>
wrote:

> What I also got from this discussion was learning why sometimes a
> `where foo = 1000` works at different number types, and sometimes not.
> It depends on whether I am using GADTs or TypeFamilies somewhere in the
> file! Who’d have thought…

Actually `where foo = 1000` wouldn't be affected by `MonoLocalBinds` (but
would be by the `MonomorphsimRestriction`, fun right :-)  ).
`MonoLocalBinds` only affects local bindings that depend on something from
a pattern (i.e., declaration that you can't
just move to the top level because they depend on something locally bound)

-Iavor