[ghc-steering-committee] A few more pleas

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Dec 8 09:32:33 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 08.12.2020, 03:47 +0000 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
> A plea for DerivingStrategies:

concur!

> A plea for NamedWildCards:

concur!

> A plea against MonoLocalBinds (and, hence, TypeFamilies):
> MonoLocalBinds is fork-like: it will mean that some Haskell98
> programs will not be accepted. And to get those programs accepted, a
> user might need ScopedTypeVariables -- in specific, the aspect of
> ScopedTypeVariables that seems likeliest to change in the future. So
> I don't think we should have MonoLocalBinds on by default.

Looking at the stats, this has 279% contentiousness (2.7× as many “no”
votes than “yes” votes in the popular vote).

I am happy to follow your advice here (and, as always, a plea _against_
an extension is on its own almost enough to kill the extension, as it
is by definition no longer uncontentious).

Would you argue that it should not be included even _if_ we’d include
GADTs and/or TypeFamilies? Or are you saying that MonoLocalBinds
shouldn’t be in; GADTS/TypeFamilies are bad without MonoLocalBinds, and
thus GADTs/TypeFamilies ought to be left out?

cheers,

  mail at joachim-breitner.de