[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Current status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Dec 4 15:29:51 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 04.12.2020, 08:25 -0500 schrieb Eric Seidel:
> All that said, if the argument is that we expect all "serious" uses
> to specify a default-language via Cabal, and thus have to explicitly
> opt into GHC2021, then why shouldn't we make some bold choices?

It’s already bold enough what we are trying to do :-)

If bold means “opinionated, educating, risky of pissing people off”,
then I’d not want to go there. I hope we will _not_ get angry blog
posts about “This is killing Haskell, I will never ever use this” (or
at least not many of them). I hope this will not cause endless debates
and “wat”-like blog posts (like FTP maybe).

I think NoStarIsType, as sensible it may be to most of us, _will_ deepy
annoy some people. Let’s build credibility and acceptance with GHC2021,
and have lots of happy people out there. And (if anything!) use later
versions to do more contentious things.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de