[ghc-steering-committee] a plea against ScopedTypeVariables

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:26:48 UTC 2020

I'll reiterate my main point: ScopedTypeVariables is a very useful
extension, and one which a lot of people would like to see in the default
set. I would be happy to see it removed in a next iteration of the GHC20XX
if a better story comes along, but even if we nail the design now, we would
need to wait a few years for it to stabilize before inclusion. In the
meanwhile, everybody would be wondering why ScopedTypeVariable is not the
default.

>>> Richard