[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: StarIsType

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Fri Dec 4 12:52:03 UTC 2020

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 12:24 PM Tom Harding <tomjharding at live.co.uk> wrote:

> I think this is an interesting question: is GHC2021 something that will,
> for example, just start appearing in a default cabal/stack file? Or, is it
> the long-awaited -XKitchenSink that I can just enable (explicitly) to imply
> this common/convenient set of extensions?

I believe that the agreement, based on the proposal that's been accepted
and the discussions around it, is that this is very much not a
`-XKitchenSink`-type extension. This is a set of reasonable defaults.
GHC2021 is the way GHC advertises it should be used (in 2021). Something
anybody can turn on without a second thought. I don't know if it ought to
appear in default cabal files, though it would definitely be reasonable
according the the extension's goal.