[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Current status

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Fri Dec 4 12:47:58 UTC 2020

GHC seems to have a bit of an ambiguous take about defaults. For instance,
`MonadFailDesugaring` is turned on since GHC 8.8 (or 8.10, I've been lost
about these lately), regardless of whether you have selected a language in
a Cabal file. It means that, as far as GHC is concerned, Haskell2010 means
Haskell2010+MonadFailDesugaring (and a few friends).

In this particular case, it is, of course, a reasonable assumption that we
are not modifying the meaning of Haskell2010 to that extent (it's the whole
point of shipping GHC2021 as an extension).

I think it would be fair to set GHC2021 as the default language when
launching, say ghci outside of a project.

/Arnaud