[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: What's wrong with Functional dependencies

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Fri Dec 4 12:43:36 UTC 2020

Dear all,

It seems that a number of us have voted against including
FunctionalDependencies and  TypeFamilyDependencies.

I don't understand why. They are properly guarded by syntax. I don't know
any complaint against them FunctionalDependencies, at least, is as standard
as it gets (there are functional dependencies all over the mtl).

Is it an oversight? Or do some of us really believe that we ought to keep
these out, and why?

/Arnaud