[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Voting starts

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 16:15:14 UTC 2020

 Here are my new votes, after several discussions, and reading a bit about
defaults (like for StarIsType) in the User Guide.

-- the ones with comments
CUSKs: no
-- ^ according to the guide, this is superseded by StandaloneKindSignatures
ConstrainedClassMethods: yes
-- ^ it is implied by MultiParamTypeClasses anyway
DefaultSignatures: no
-- ^ as Joachim says, this should be succeeded by DerivingVia
-- ^ anyway, this is one required for the writer of the class, so no big
deal
DeriveAnyClass: no
-- ^ given our discussion
DerivingVia: yes
-- ^ even though it’s quite recent, I think it’s quite sensible and I don’t
foresee many changes to it
DisambiguateRecordFields: no
DuplicateRecordFields: no
-- ^ we seem to still be working on this
FunctionalDependencies: maybe
-- ^ this is a hard one! Not so terrible since it’s only required by the
creator of the class, not of the instances
MonadFailDesugaring: yes
-- ^ isn’t this the default nowadays?
MonoLocalBinds: yes
-- ^ this is implied by GADTs and TypeFamilies
MultiWayIf: no
-- ^ still in discussion
NamedWildCards: yes
-- ^ not many people use this, but I think this is the sane default
OverloadedLists: yes
OverloadedStrings: yes
-- ^ I would love to see these included, but I agree with the sentiment
that they need more work
PartialTypeSignatures: no
-- ^ I really think that partial type signatures should not be accepted by
default
QuantifiedConstraints: no
-- ^ too early
ScopedTypeVariables: yes
-- ^ I think this is really well understood and people want it
PatternSynonyms: maybe
-- ^ we are still working out the edges of this
ForeignFunctionInterface: yes
RankNTypes: yes
UnicodeSyntax: yes
-- ^ following Joachim’s suggestion: enable this for syntax but *not* for
error messages
TypeInType: maybe
-- ^ this simply implies PolyKinds, DataKinds, KindSignatures, according to
the documentation
StarIsType: yes
-- ^ this is on by default, and I think it would be very confusing to stop
treating “*” different from “Type” as this moment

-- these seem simple syntactic extensions
-- many of them bring compatibility with the syntax of Java-like languages
BinaryLiterals: yes
HexFloatLiterals: yes
NegativeLiterals: yes
NumDecimals: yes
NumericUnderscores: yes

-- too early but wouldn’t care to introduce it
StandaloneKindSignatures: yes
ImportQualifiedPost: yes

-- don’t know
GHCForeignImportPrim: maybe