[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #313: Delimited continuation primops, Shepherd: Simon Marlow

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 13:33:58 UTC 2020

"Illegal but unchecked" would be fine too, although we do already use the
term "undefined" in the documentation for various primops.

We've so far taken the approach that undefined behaviour in primops is OK.
The idea is that libraries built on top can provide a safe and
fully-defined API. e.g.

* division-by-zero is undefined (libraries are supposed to check before
invoking the primop)
* The uncheckedIShift family are undefined for arguments outside the
allowed bounds
* unsafeCoerce is undefined when used in certain ways, of course

There are probably more that aren't documented.

Cheers
Siimon