[ghc-steering-committee] GHC2021: DeriveAnyClass

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 1 08:14:42 UTC 2020

I’ve found as a surprise that several members of the Committee have voted against, or even marked as dangerous, the DeriveAnyClass extension. Given that I am a great fan of it, I would like to open the debate about the particular extension.

I’m a great fan of Template Haskell, but I didn’t put it in the “on by default” category.

There are lots of “deriving” extensions.  I treated them as a group, but you could perhaps argue that doing so isn’t right. Is there a reason to choose one over the others to be in the on-by-default set?

Simon