[ghc-steering-committee] GHC 2020

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Mon Aug 31 18:55:14 UTC 2020

A fun way to start the fall. (Today is my daughter's first day of "school". This defines the beginning of fall.) Thanks, Iavor, for kicking this off.

I initially wrote a long email in this space, with numbered criteria (heavily based on Iavor's suggestions) and my thoughts on the individual extensions proposed. But I realized this would quickly grow unwieldy. I thus have created https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/wiki/GHC2020, where I propose we track this conversation. Specifically: arguments for or against an individual extension should go right on the wiki, labeled with the author's name/initials. This preserves these arguments for later. Then, to keep the conversation moving, write back to this list just mentioning which extensions you've commented on.

Please review the criteria on the wiki page. Do you agree with what I've put forward?

I've commented on the following extensions:

ApplicativeDo
CApiFFI
EmptyCase
ExplicitNamespaces
ForeignFunctionInterface
LambdaCase
MultiWayIf
NamedFieldPuns
OverloadedLists
OverloadedStrings
PatternSynonyms
RecordWildCards
ScopedTypeVariables
StandaloneKindSignatures
TupleSections
TypeOperators

I have added these new extensions for consideration:

MultiParamTypeClasses
ImplicitParams
FlexibleContexts
FlexibleInstances
GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving
DeriveDataTypeable
DeriveGeneric
DefaultSignatures
InstanceSigs
ConstrainedClassMethods
ExplicitForAll
DeriveFunctor
DeriveTraversable
DeriveFoldable
PolyKinds
RoleAnnotations
NegativeLiterals
DeriveAnyClass
DeriveLift
DerivingStrategies
EmptyDataDeriving

Looking forward to seeing your thoughts here!