[ghc-steering-committee] GHC 2020

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Aug 30 07:11:18 UTC 2020

Hi,

this is going to be a fun thread :-).

Iavors list makes sense to me. Didn’t go through the list of extensions
that he did not include, though.

Am Samstag, den 29.08.2020, 22:10 -0600 schrieb Eric Seidel:
> - RecordWildCards: Personally, I really like this extension, but I
> know that it's somewhat controversial in the broader community. The
> concern is that it makes it hard to tell where variables are bound.

I wouldn’t worry about enabling the extension; you’d still have to
actually write {..} to get the behavior, readers will at least know
whether it is hard to tell where variables are abound.

> at least consider adding OverloadedStrings and perhaps
> OverloadedLists.

I regularly write code where I use a library that only works nice if
"foo" is monomorphic, because such strings are meant to be used in
polymorphic contexts. With OverloadedStrings, you get ambiguity errors
that you have to resolve with explicit type annotations. So
unfortunately, that one probably can’t be on by default. Which is a
shame, of course.

(Maybe we need {-# LANGUAGE TextStrings #-} or something like that to
get the benefit of text-by-default and the benefit of monomorphic code…
getting off topic here, though.)

  mail at joachim-breitner.de