[ghc-steering-committee] Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Aug 29 15:36:50 UTC 2020

Dear Committee,

no longer monthly, but still happening: Regular status updates. So what
has happened in the last 4 months?

 * Chris Allen stepped down from the committee. Thanks for your work,
   Chris.

 * There was discussion about more rigid rules for the constitution of
   the committee.

 * There was a meeting during ICFP, Richard will summarize.

 * we were asked to review these proposals:
   #303: Constraint based arrow notation, new shepherd: Alejandro
   #275: Rebindable Application, shepherd: Richard
   #292: ByteArray Literals, shepherd: Vitaly
   #333: Defer Parse
Errors, shepherd: Tom
   #344: Negative Literals Improved, shepherd:
Joachim
   #343: BangPatterns by default, shepherd: SPJ

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:
   #320: clsdfltassoctypinst in bckpck&.hs-boot (rec: accept)
   #195: Make Q (TExp a) into a newtype (rec: accept)
   #270: Extend Term-Level Lookup Rules (rec: reject)
   #274: Quicklook
impredicativity (rec: accept)
   #344: Negative Literals Improved (rec:
accept)
   #343: BangPatterns by default (rec: reject)

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision
   #303: Constraint based arrow notation
   #292: ByteArray Literals

#319: NoFallibleDo proposal

 * we decided about the following proposals
   #285: -XNoImplicitForAll (accept)
   #216: QualifiedDo (accept)
   #320: clsdfltassoctypinst in
bckpck&.hs-boot (accept)
   #195: Make Q (TExp a) into a
newtype (accept)
   #274: Quicklook impredicativity (accept)
   #344: Negative Literals
Improved (accept)
   #343: BangPatterns by default (reject)

We currently have to act on the following 2 proposals, down by 5.
Good work!

## Waiting for committee decision

none!

## Waiting for Shepherd action

#333: Defer Parse Errors, Shepherd: Tom
      Tom, is this ready for Committee consideration?

#302: Layout and Guards in Lambda Expressions, Shepherd: Cale
      Cale, it is high time to jump into action here!

  mail at joachim-breitner.de