[ghc-steering-committee] Acceptance of proposal #314: Enable `-Wnoncanonical-monad-instances` and `-Wnoncanonical-monoid-instances` by default

Tom Harding tomjharding at live.co.uk
Sun Apr 26 17:21:49 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I’ve announced the acceptance of this proposal on the GitHub thread. I had meant to do this last week, but world events have interrupted my scheduling quite a lot more than I’d like...

https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/314#issuecomment-619588184

The one outstanding question, which I think is definitely worth answering, is whether the Monad of No Return proposal currently has a shepherd. SPJ: do you know whether there’s any “active shepherding” around this proposal? Or is the current action just simply waiting for a few releases until the majority of Hackage is writing Applicative/Semigroup instances? My understanding is the latter, but I think it’s worth making it explicit somewhere.

Thanks,
Tom