[ghc-steering-committee] #216: Qualified Do again, recommendation: accept the alternative

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Apr 13 19:54:43 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Montag, den 13.04.2020, 12:40 +0100 schrieb Simon Marlow:
> This makes me wonder: would it be possible to handle the typing by
> generating HasField constraints for (>>=) and friends? And would that
> avoid needing to talk about "fully settled" types?

this was actually the original proposal by Arnaud from last spring, and
if HasField would play well with polymorphic record fields, then we
would have just happily accepted it back then…

But because of the issues around polymorphic fields, we sent it back,
and have now two “work-arounds” (introduce fully settled types, or use
the module system) to choose from.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de