[ghc-steering-committee] Winapi pseudo calling conv (#277) --- recommendation: accept

Sandy Maguire sandy at sandymaguire.me
Sun Sep 22 06:44:19 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Proposal 277 is on the topic of a psuedo calling convention for windows,
where on x86 you need to use `stdcall`, but on x86_64 it should be `ccall`.
The base and Win32 packages both use extensive amounts of CPP to work
around this.

This proposal is to add a `winapi` calling convention that does the right
thing regardless of the platform architecture.

With the caveat that I am not well versed in FFI or Windows, *my
recommendation is to accept. *This is a very small proposal that can
immediately be used to clean up over 650 CPP invocations throughout the
ecosystem. It's clearly a problem that people are running into, and we
should focus on easy quality of life improvements.

As usual, silence will be considered assent!

Best,
Sandy

--
I'm currently travelling the world, sleeping on people's couches and doing
full-time collaboration on Haskell projects. If this seems interesting to