[ghc-steering-committee] Early feedback wanted on #243: TH overhaul to make it Cross-compile-friendly

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Sep 14 07:51:31 UTC 2019

Dear committee,

there is a rather large proposal sitting in #243. Its goal is to
address our somewhat embarrassing story around Template Haskell and
cross compilation, and as such deserves attention. But it is also a
very big, wide reaching change, even removing some existing features
until we figured out how to do them properly.

In his comment at
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/243#issuecomment-531394109
the author (John Ericson) wondered if he could get preliminary feedback
on the proposal: Is this going into a direction that has a chance of
acceptance?

Who in the committee knows enough about TH and (maybe) also cross
compilation to give the proposal in its current form a good read and
give a first assessment?

Thanks,

  mail at joachim-breitner.de