[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #259: No kind signatures on associated types Shepherd: Simon PJ

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Mon Sep 9 06:49:23 UTC 2019

In my eyes, one of the most important use of type-signatures-for-everything
(apart from a welcome uniformity), is the will to deprecate `*` in favour
of `Type`. That is because, in practice, I always use `*` in CUSKS (of
which I use a lot!), as with `Type`, they would become immensely crowded
and, to me at least, barely readable. In short: to me
type-signatures-for-everything is the one blocker for deprecating `*`.

So let's look at this proposal through the lens of this use-case:

- Associated type declaration are already kind of type signature
assignments.
- Except only partial, as some of the variables will be to the left of the
type families
- But these extra variables are already mentioned in the type class, where
their type can be specified. In particular by a kind signature!

So do I need to write `(Type -> Type) -> Type` near a type variable? No, I
don't.

I guess I'm in favour, then.