[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #259: No kind signatures on associated types Shepherd: Simon PJ

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 6 16:42:36 UTC 2019

All,

I'm the shepherd for

|  No kind signatures on associated types
|  https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/259

I recommend acceptance.

The proposal takes the form of an amendment to an earlier accepted proposal
   Standalone kind signatures
   https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposals/0054-kind-signatures.rst

by prohibiting a standalone kind signature for the associated type of a class.

The reason for this narrowing is well described in the "Associated types" subsection of the revised proposal.

The first link above lets you see the baseline proposal, the diff, and the new proposal.

I recommend acceptance because
- the need for standalone signatures on
  associated types is weaker (albeit not absent)
- allowing such a signature closes of one possible
  future direction

So making them illegal now keeps our options open for the future.

Since standalone kind signatures are not yet released, there will be no back-compat issues.

Please express your opinion.  I don't think this one is controversial.

Simon