[ghc-steering-committee] Updated partial type signatures (#194) - recommendation: accept

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Mon Nov 25 11:20:32 UTC 2019

> On Nov 25, 2019, at 11:16 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> * Elision in types doesn't seem all that useful, yet it occupies prime syntactic real estate. I thought about this for a while and I don't have any alternative suggestions unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I completely agree here. However, we Haskellers seem to like being able to say `const x _ = x`. Being able to write an underscore there is nice, and we would sorely miss its absence. Why don't we feel the same about `const :: a -> _ -> a`? Maybe it's that we're not used to it? I agree that I don't feel the same about these two elisions, but I can't articulate why.