[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #273: Local Types, Recommendation: needs revision

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Nov 23 16:46:56 UTC 2019

Hi,

thanks for the great summary.

My gut feeling when looking at this from afar is “I’d love to have
local types and instances, but surely it must be hard and expensive to
add that to Haskell, else we would already have it, so this gotta be
flawed”. But that is not a fair initial sentiment.

A renamer-focused approach to local types + some support for local
instances sound like a reasonable way forward.