[ghc-steering-committee] Status

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 23 10:47:18 UTC 2019

OK, here's a suggestion for how to proceed:

* Ask each existing member in to indicate their current state:
  a) I am happy as a member, feel I am contributing.
  b) I am willing to continue, but would also to be content to stand down
  c) I would quite like to stand down

* In the light of that, and the balance of stakeholder-group representation,
  invite nominations for new members.

In general I quite like term limits, because they remove the presumption that once you are a member you are always a member.  It's easy to say "at the end of your term you can re-nominate yourself" and then be considered as part of that round.  If we decide to do this we should write down whose current term ends when.

I'd like to invite Joachim to continue as Secretary.  You are doing a great job and we would be much less effective without you.

As for Simon and myself, I think there's a case for leaving us in place as figureheads that everyone will recognise, at least for now.

Simon