[ghc-steering-committee] Status

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Wed May 22 17:55:27 UTC 2019

Having a defined term length makes sense, and according to GitHub[1] we already have that.

> Members have terms of 3, 4, and 5 years.

Though I don't recall being given a specific term length when I joined :)

Are you suggesting that, beyond well-defined term lengths, we should also have a limit on the number of terms a member can serve?

> Open question: if a member in good standing renominates themselves, do
> we still run an open nomination process?

I think we should still have an open nomination process. It could help keep new members coming in and spread the load across the community, which seems especially important for a volunteer group. For example, I might renominate myself even though I have less and less time to serve, because I care about the community. If we then cutoff the nomination process, I serve another term even though there may be someone else who has more time and energy to devote. On the other hand, if we keep an open nomination process, I'll be able to see that other people want to serve, and could choose to withdraw my nomination with peace of mind.

[1]: https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/#who-is-the-committee