[ghc-steering-committee] Procedural change vote

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at justtesting.org
Mon May 6 19:58:56 UTC 2019

> Am 06.05.2019 um 18:25 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>:
>
> | I like GitHub for code, but for the discussion we are having, I don’t
> | think the UI is really made for that.
>
> Why do you think email is better?

Because people are much better at providing context in email and my mail reader keeps track of what I have read and what I haven’t read yet.

It is a lot harder to see on GitHub what comment another comment is referring to.

>  I suppose that each email often includes a complete copy of the thread, which seems useful, if wasteful.  Is it that that makes the difference for you?

I haven’t quoted everything, but just the bits I am responding to.

GitHub allows you to quote, too, but you need to explicitly do it (by copying text and adding markup or by highlighting it and pressing ’r’). People often don’t do that, but in email it is the default and done by your email reader.

Manuel