[ghc-steering-committee] committee deliberation discussions

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 18 19:35:06 UTC 2019

The thing I like about using GitHub is that it means that all the substantial technical critique is one place.  Since the bandwidth for proposals under discussion is high, I often think “I’ll wait till the dust has settled and the proposal has been revised and submitted to the committee before giving a thorough look.”   But when I do look I often have technical questions.

Using the mailing list for all SC discussion means that the technical discussion ends up in two places; and non-SCE members are prevented (by convention at least) from responding.  In our SC-email -list phase, I found myself putting comments on Github and (tiresomely) posting a link to email list as well.

Here’s a straw man idea.  During the SC phase,

  *   If SC members have technical comments or questions, they should post them to GitHub, where the author or anyone else can respond.
  *   If members want to post evaluations such as “I think we should accept because...” or similarly for reject, use the email list.
That would allow the authors and others to continue to contribute without impeding the committee’s evaluation work.

After some reflection I like this a lot better than having all SC contributions on the SC list.

It would mean that SC members might have to track those posts on GitHub.

I think we should also make it clearer that “submit to the committee” means “I have revised the proposal, so that it reflects precisely what I propose”.   Committee members are obligated to read the proposal, but it should not be necessary to read the discussion thread and they should not feel obliged to do so.   (If, say, they ask a technical question that is answered further up, that question should by now be answered by the proposal itself.)

Simon