[ghc-steering-committee] committee deliberation discussions

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Thu Jul 18 07:36:58 UTC 2019

The steering committee mailing list is actually open to everybody to post.
So on the technical side, I don't see a problem. On the social side,
though, I see more difficulties. It will tend to create more barrier of
entries for authors to make successful proposal, for instance (one more
thing to get subscribed to, I should also mention that I've noticed that
people in their twenties tend to be pretty uncomfortable with mailing
lists). So I think a hybrid discussion where the committee speaks among
themselves, then come back to the author, is probably the best option. It
does put some more work for the shepherd which needs to organise the back
and forth. But hopefully not too much.

Other than that, I agree with everything Richard says and proposes. I'll
add one argument: there is no good reason why the public discussion on a
proposal should stop just because the committee is having a chinwag about
it.