[ghc-steering-committee] Extra Commas

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Tue Jul 9 14:46:32 UTC 2019

> On Jul 8, 2019, at 2:05 PM, Christopher Allen <cma at bitemyapp.com> wrote:
>
> If there are no objections, I will re-close the proposal as rejected.

As I've posted on the GitHub trail, I don't think we should close this quite yet.

> the opinions and priorities of people
> who simply didn't want the extension or didn't plan to use it weighed
> heavily on where the proposal went. This took it places nobody
> interested in the proposal was interested in moving forward with. We
> might want to consider how we evaluate proposals in light of that
> problem. In the past I've held off commenting on proposals I wasn't
> interested in but considered benign to my priorities. I don't think
> everyone is operating on the same principle and it's making the
> process more bureaucratic and less effective for helping Haskell users
> achieve their ends.

This is a valuable observation. If we broadly split the world into two camps -- those that would like the extra commas and those that don't -- the middle-road solution indeed doesn't serve either one. I'm not sure where to go with this, exactly. But I do think it's worthwhile thinking whether users or non-users are the ones more actively influencing a proposal.