[ghc-steering-committee] Discussion on #155 Type Variable in Lambdas

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Feb 19 18:49:48 UTC 2019

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 19.02.2019, 10:28 -0800 schrieb Iavor Diatchki:
> I am a bit concerned with the notation though:  in other places where
> we use `@a`, (e.g., #126 type application in patterns, and
> TypeApplications) the `a` is a type, while in this use it must be a
> variable.   I wonder if this punning might be confusing.   I don't
> really have an alternative suggestion though.

on the term level, lambda parameters are variables and function
arguments are terms, without a different syntax here. So I think that
is fine.

Ok, there is a bit of syntactic sugar to allow patterns in lambdas. So
maybe a future proposal can extend this to allow type patterns in
lambdas…

But I think I am fine doing small steps here.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de