[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #167 (Deprecated Entities): Request for comments

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Wed Feb 6 02:14:12 UTC 2019

> On Feb 5, 2019, at 7:11 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at seidel.io> wrote:
>
> My main concern is that I'd like us to be consistent in how we disambiguate namespaces. If we want to use `data`, we should use it everywhere (synonyms are fine by me as long as they are also consistent). This would means we'd need to revise the fixity proposal I linked to above.

Yes, I should have included this in my email. If we decide to go in this direction, I would want to be consistent. This would include updating the fixity proposal (which is, I believe, still unimplemented) and expanding -XExplicitNamespaces to include `data`. Eventually, we would deprecate the use of `pattern` in import/export lists and then remove that feature. I suppose all this would necessitate yet another proposal.... but I do think the wider community (not just this list) should weigh in. However, before doing so, I'd be curious for more feedback from this group as a test-bed.