[ghc-steering-committee] Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Dec 15 10:54:01 UTC 2019

Dear Committee,

since the last status, it seems we have become much more willing to
send proposals back for revision. (BTW, you can make my life easier to
always mention a status change like this on the mailing list.)

Also,

 * Sandy Maguire stepped down, and we started a call for nominations.
   (I have already received two self-nominations)

 * we were asked to review these proposals:
   #177: Simple constrained type families, Shepherd: Richard
   #273: Local Types, Shepherd: Eric
   #285: -XNoImplicitForAll, Shepherd: Simon Marlow
   #246: Overloaded Quotations, Shepherd: Simon PJ
   #265: Unlifted Datatypes, Shepherd: Simon Marlow
   #282: RecordDotSyntax, Shepherd: Simon PJ
   #301: Rename PtrRep to BoxedRep, Shepherd: Joachim

 * we have a recommendation from the shepherd about:
   #195: newtype Q (Texp a) (rec: accept)
   #285: -XNoImplicitForAll (rec: accept)
   #246: Overloaded Quotations (rec: accept)
   #194: Updated partial type signatures (rec: accept)
   #293: Tweaks to #229 (rec: accept)
   #273: Local Types (rec: needs revision)
   #265: Unlifted Datatypes (rec: accept)
   #301: Rename PtrRep to BoxedRep (rec: accept)

 * we have sent the following proposals back to revision
   #177: Simple constrained type families
   #285: -XNoImplicitForAll

#273: Local Types
   #194: Updated partial type signatures
   #195:
newtype Q (Texp a)
   #274: Quick Look Impredicativity (rec: accept)

 * we decided about the following proposals
   #246: Overloaded Quotations (accept)
   #293: Tweaks to #229 (accept)

We currently have to act on the following 2 proposals, down by one!

## Waiting for Shepherd action

RecordDotSyntax language extension proposal
Shepherd: Simon PJ
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/282
(Being a prime example of Wadler’s law, it may come to voting.)

## Waiting for committee decision

Rename PtrRep to BoxedRep
Shepherd: Joachim
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/301
Acceptance imminent.

Cheers and merry Christmas to those who care about that,

  mail at joachim-breitner.de