[ghc-steering-committee] Discussion on proposal #99: forall {k}

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Fri May 25 17:56:47 UTC 2018

Hello,

well, I thought that Richard was going to write a new proposal based on the
feedback here, but it sounds like he is planning to revise #99, and then
write a separate new one.    I guess we should discuss the proposal again
once the changes are in.   I would encourage Richard to add some text and
examples to clarify exactly what's in the proposal and what's not, and how
things are supposed to work.  Here are some examples, for which it would be
illuminating (to me) to see the types/kinds of all names introduced.

data T1 a = C1 a
data T2 (a :: k) = C2 { f2 :: Proxy a }
data T3 a where C3 :: forall k (a::k). Proxy a -> T3 a
data T4 a where C4 :: forall {k} (a::k). Proxy a -> T3 a
data T5 k a where C5 :: forall k (a::k). Proxy a -> T5 k a
data T6 k a where C6 :: forall {k} (a::k). Proxy a -> T6 k a

-Iavor