[ghc-steering-committee] TypeApplications for Overloaded Literals (#129), Recommendation: accept

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun May 6 14:25:34 UTC 2018

Dear Committee,

this is your secretary speaking:

Sandy Maguire proposes to change the desugaring of overloaded literals
so that they work nicely with type applications
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/129
rendered at
https://github.com/isovector/ghc-proposals/blob/type-apps/proposals/0000-type-apply-literals.rst

I’ll shepherd that myself.

The proposal is a good example for a working proposal system here. The
original version of the proposal was rather complex, reshuffling type
arguments and stuff. But community input distilled this much smaller
change, which can be summarized:

   Desugar `5` into `integerLit (5 :: Integer)` where

   integerLit :: Integer -> forall a. Num a => a
   integerLit = fromInteger

This allows `5 @Int` to work just fine.

The proposal does not require a language extension, and does not change
 what happens in the light of `RebindableSyntax`.

I therefore recommend that we accept this proposal.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de