[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal: Binding existential type variables (#96)

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Wed Mar 28 16:26:10 UTC 2018

- I, too, like Joachim's proposal.

- I like Joachim's original proposal more than Simon's simplification... but Simon's simplification is indeed a simplification, which is nice.

- If we think that we might want to migrate to Joachim's proposal eventually (and I do), then I agree with his amendment to forbid shadowing.

- Joachim parenthetically mentioned the possibility of "matchable implicit arguments". We actually already have these -- they're called existential variables. What would be new is matchable /relevant/ implicit arguments, which could be matched against a pattern. Being able to match against these essentially requires Joachim's expanded proposal.

- Roman asks about `data T a = MkT`, where `a`'s kind is unrestricted. This means we have `MkT :: forall {k} (a :: k). T a`. Following the current rules for specified-vs-inferred variables, the k variable is *inferred*, meaning it is not available for type application or patterns. That doesn't change here; a user of `MkT` cannot access the `k` variable through @-signs in either context. This is unchanged by #103.

On balance, I favor Joachim's full proposal, without the simplification, but I favor Simon's simplification over the original proposal. Emma (the proposer), Stephanie, and I debated these designs at some length before asking Emma to write up the proposal. We did have a design with universals and existentials both able to be written explicitly in patterns, but we felt that having universals able to be types while existentials must be variables was awkward. Both new proposals on the floor treat universals and existentials similarly here, which is an improvement on anything that Emma, Stephanie, and I debated.

Richard