[ghc-steering-committee] Treat kind and type vars identically with `forall` #103

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 22 15:15:39 UTC 2018

Dear GHC steering committee
I strongly propose that we accept
            Treat kind and type vars identically with `forall` #103
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/103
It makes our design much more simple and uniform - both in the specification and in the implementation.  The current setup is a terrible dogs breakfast.
Moreover, I propose that we adopt it without a 3-release wait after #83 - see under Alternatives.   Any programs that are rejected by #103 can be fixed by adding some extra forall k's.  And that change will be accepted NOW if you add -XTypeInType.