[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #79 "Add a :kind!! command to ghci" — propose yes

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Wed Mar 21 02:53:49 UTC 2018

I think this is useful, but I strongly dislike :kind!!.

Currently:

> :type <expr> gives the type of an expression, without evaluating it
> :kind <type> gives the kind of a type, without evaluating it
> <expr> evaluates an expression

Obviously, we can't have

> <type> evaluates a type

because that's terribly ambiguous.

On the thread, I proposed :eval-type, which got a less-than-lukewarm response. But I'll propose that here, regardless. Really, anything is better than :kind!! for me. (And I think we should remove :kind! too, and use a system like with have with :type +v and :type +d to have an evaluate-this-type command, with options.)

Richard