[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal: Embrace Type in Type

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Jan 25 22:10:33 UTC 2018

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 25.01.2018, 21:45 +0000 schrieb Iavor Diatchki:
> In part because I actually tried for a while to use `Type` instead of
> `*`, and I found that the resulting kind signatures looked much more
> complicated.

How do you feel about the variant where * is a synonym for Type, but no
special parsing rules apply, which means you get to write

    class Monad (m :: (*) -> (*))

instead of

    class Monad (m :: * -> *) -- now

or

    class Monad (m :: Type -> Type) -- proposed

This way, people who want (*) to not refer to Type can hide the import
with the usual mechanisms.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de