[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #77 "Deprecating STM invariant mechanism" — suggesting acceptance

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at justtesting.org
Thu Feb 1 00:42:00 UTC 2018

Folks,

I’d like to reach consensus on Proposal #77 ”Deprecating STM invariant mechanism”:

  https://github.com/bgamari/ghc-proposals/blob/deprecate-stm-invariants/proposals/0000-deprecate-stm-invariants.rst

(The discussion thread is at <https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/77>.)

This proposal is about removing a rarely used feature that is arguably buggy and also imposes significant complexity. I think, removing ideas that turn out to be not working properly or simply aren’t sufficiently useful for the complexity they impose is an important part of the process. The STM invariant mechanism appears to fit that bill. Hence, I suggest to accept this proposal.

Please let me know if you disagree; otherwise, I will assume tacit approval.

Cheers,
Manuel