[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal #111: Linear Types

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 05:50:25 UTC 2018

Hello,

I am not sure that the amount of effort that went into writing a proposal
should be a deciding factor about if the proposal is accepted.  We don't
want to discourage folks, but also, once things get into GHC they are hard
to get out, so I think caution is warranted.

I find this proposal to be constructed rather poorly.  I read the previous
version, and I also read this one, and I find it to be a rather small
improvement, if at all.  For a relatively complex proposal change, the
proposal had hardly any examples.  To me, it read as a patchwork of
paragraphs, that are an uneasy mix of informal explanations with no
examples, overly formal explanations, potential things one might use this
for (RIO??), and what seem to be answers to questions from the GitHub
discussion, which are just perplexing if you read the proposal before the
discussion.

This makes it quite hard to grasp the main idea.  Having said that I think
I get what is being proposed and I like parts of it.

The main high level concern I have is the overloading of the function space
arrow.  We already have it overloaded in all kinds of ways, and adding one
more dimension without any kind of underlying system seems too much.  I am
not at all convinced that we will be able to "hide" multiplicities when the
extension is not enabled.

Overall, while I like the core ideas, I would prefer a different way of
integrating them into Haskell, one that is more modular, even at the cost
of having to duplicate some code.  My reasoning is that while linearity
might be useful in some cases, most of the time it is not something that
we'd care about much, so we should not add it (at least straight away) to
the core part of the language (functions and data types).

-Iavor