[ghc-steering-committee] Discussion about "Type Application in Patterns" (#126)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Aug 4 18:33:43 UTC 2018

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 04.08.2018, 13:16 -0500 schrieb Christopher Allen:
> Could someone give me a motivating example for what this enables?

with “this”, do you refer to type applications in patterns?
The main fundamental motivation is to bind existential type variables.
Currently we often do this using Proxy, but we’d like a more convenient
syntax that mirrors type applications in patterns.

or do you refer to allowing complex patterns on both sides of an as-
pattern? I don’t have an example for this handy, and maybe we actually
never want that, in which case there is no issue.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de