[ghc-steering-committee] Constraint vs Type: I propose acceptance

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 24 20:48:12 UTC 2018

| Simon, did you get the clarifications that you wanted? Can we go ahead
| and accept this?

Yes -- let's just accept and move on.

It's a small proposal that rejects a few programs that are currently accepted, but should not be.   After discussion Richard moved a much more elaborate proposal to a historical appendix; it wasn't "obviously right" enough to pay its way.  But we may hope that in the future we will see more clearly, and so this proposal is deliberately a minimal holding position.

But the present situation is outright wrong, so there's a net step forward.

Simon