[ghc-steering-committee] Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Apr 24 02:46:38 UTC 2018

Hi committee,

the proposal process has become pretty popular, and it seems we are
having trouble keeping up. There are a few proposals that needs
shepherding … so please check if you are expected to make a
recommendation or, if you have, if the discussion needs more guidance
or can be closed.

Since the last status update, we
 * were asked to review these proposals:
   - Provenance-Qualified Package Imports (Shepherd: Ben)
   - Quantified Constraints (Shepherd: Richard)
   - Kinds Without Promotion (Shepherd: Ryan)
   - DH quantifiers (Shepherd: me)
   - Top-level kind signatures (Shepherd: Roman)
   - Resurrect PatternSignatures (Shepherd: Chis)
   - forall {k} (Shepherd: Iavor)
 * got a recommendation from shepherds about:
   - :kind!! (accept)
   - Treat kind and type vars identically with `forall` (accept)
   - Binding existential type variables (reject)
   - Quantified Constraints (accept)
 * decided about the following proposals
   - :kind!! (needs revision)
   - Quantified Constraints (accept)
   - Source plugins (accept)
   - plugin recompilation avoidance
     (accepted, but proposal needs to be updated)
   - DH quantifiers (punted, now dormant)

We currently have to act on the following 14 proposals, which is
2 more than a the time of the last the last status mail.

Deriving Via
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/120
Shepherd: Joachim

Resurrect PatternSignatures
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/119
Shepherd: Chris

Provenance-Qualified Package Imports
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/115
Shepherd: Ben

Define Kinds Without Promotion
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/106
Shepherd: Ryan

kind and type vars
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/103
Shepherd: SPJ

forall {x},
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/99
Shepherd: Iavor

Binding existential variables
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/96
Shepherd: Roman
with an alternative proposal in #126.

Embrace Type-In-Type
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/83
Shepherd: Iavor

Visible dependent quantification (TL;DR: forall k -> k -> *)
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/81
Shepherd: Roman Leshchinskiy

Top-level kinds signatures
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/54
Shepherd: Roman Leshchinskiy

Or-Patterns
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/43
Shepherd: Manuel

Lazy unboxed tuples
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/35
Shepherd: Ryan

Constraint vs. Type
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/32
Shepherd: Simon PJS (proposed acceptance)

Mutable constructor fields
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/8
Shepherd: Ryan Newton
not the clear consensus that I’d like. Ryan, what is the status here?

  mail at joachim-breitner.de