[ghc-steering-committee] Deriving via (#120), Recommendation: accept

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Apr 24 02:19:45 UTC 2018

Dear Committee,

this is your secretary speaking:

Deriving via was proposed, by Ryan, Icelandjack and Andres,
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/120
rendered at
https://github.com/Icelandjack/ghc-proposals/blob/patch-3/proposals/0000-deriving-via.rst

I’ll shepherd that myself.

The proposal adds a new deriving strategy that works like GND, but
explicitly names the other, representationally equal type whose
instance should be copied.

The proposal comes with a paper and an implementation, has been met
with great enthusiasm in the community, and I expect that our users
will do many great things with it, and all that with relatively little
theoretical and implemntational overhead.

I therefore wholeheartedly recomment that we accept this proposal.

Thanks,
  mail at joachim-breitner.de